Kitchen Island? (From TapaTalk Forum)

HOME Forums Kitchen Island? (From TapaTalk Forum)

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
    admin
    Keymaster

8:48 PM – May 05#1

My wife and I have a 2011, 36MAX1.  We do not have an island in the kitchen.  We think that we want one.  If you have an island, do you like it?  What would you change about it?  Would you rather not have one?  Please share your opinion.  We have an Amish man up the road that will custom make it to match our existing cabinets but he is not cheap.  We don’t want to spend the money and have regrets.  Thanks

May 05#2

wertenbergertiling wrote:My wife and I have a 2011, 36MAX1.  We do not have an island in the kitchen.  We think that we want one.  If you have an island, do you like it?  What would you change about it?  Would you rather not have one?  Please share your opinion.  We have an Amish man up the road that will custom make it to match our existing cabinets but he is not cheap.  We don’t want to spend the money and have regrets.  Thanks

Hi,
    When we were RV shopping before we bought our lifestyle one of my requirements was an island. Our previous RV didn’t have one and I felt like it had a serious lack of counterspace. I love having an island ! We have the LS36FW so I think our floorplan is similar. While our island isn’t huge it does offer additional storage space and the all important additional counter/prep space and houses the dishwasher… Another must have for me :D

I don’t think I’d ever have another RV without one !

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

8:11 AM – May 06#3

I agree with JLSR, with the caveat that when the slides are closed the island makes accessing anything beyond the ‘fridge very difficult, a forgotten open window for instance.

Tim

9:47 AM – May 06#4

We ordered our LS36fw without the island.  I can understand if you really need the extra storage or counter space it offers, however, we felt there was already plenty of both.
    The main reason we opted NOT to get one was the extra space with the slide closed.  We like the openness of not having it, too.

1:42 PM – May 06#5

When I ordered our LS36FW we opted to not put in the island. We had an island in our Cameo and we thought it took up a lot of space. We love the openness of the LS36FW now with room to move around.
    That’s my two cents worth!!!?
    Alan & DoAnn

3:43 PM – May 06#6

When I ordered my LS36FW I was out voted on the island. I didn’t want it. But I have to say that I’m glad that I was out voted. It has proven to be a great feature

7:17 PM – May 08#7

Does anyone have what I believe they call the “breakfast bar” or “breakfast island”?

6:09 AM – May 11#8

I believe we are going to go ahead and have an island made.  Could someone post some pictures with the critical dimensions for me of there island.  We took some measurements and even marked it out with masking tape on the floor while we had the slides in.  I just want to make sure that I didn’t overlook anything.  Again, we have a 36Max1.  I don’t know if the dimensions would be different in a Lifestyle.  Thanks

1:59 PM – May 11#9

wertenbergertiling wrote:I believe we are going to go ahead and have an island made.  Could someone post some pictures with the critical dimensions for me of there island.  We took some measurements and even marked it out with masking tape on the floor while we had the slides in.  I just want to make sure that I didn’t overlook anything.  Again, we have a 36Max1.  I don’t know if the dimensions would be different in a Lifestyle.  Thanks

Ours is 41.5 x 28 x 36 high. Pic is with the slide in so you can see how it fits. There is 5″ space between island and countertop. When kitchen fws slide is out there is about 2ft of space. When the dining slide is in there is only a couple inches on that side. When dining slide is out there’s plenty of room about 3 ft . I think there would even be room for a couple narrow bar stools. Post pics after you get it done :-)P_20190422_124100.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

wertenbergertiling

Gold Level Member

6:38 PM – May 21#10

Thanks for the information. We are still trying to figure out the layout. I’m not sure if the measurements are the same for our Carri-Lite as for your Lifestyle. The 28 inches seems wide considering the measurements I had with our slides in. Thanks again.

8:25 PM – May 21#11

We have a 2011 36 max1 Carri-lite. Our island cabinet is 18.25 including the cabinet doors x 38.5 and the top is 22.25 x 42″. The top is curved and hangs over 3″ on the dinette side. There is a 5″ toe space on the dinette side so the overhang on the dinette slide can go under the cabinet when its closed. The pics show how far it sits off of the wall next to the door and from the step going up to the bedroom, both are aprox 46″.
    Chip
    DSCN6539.JPG
    DSCN6538.JPG
    DSCN6537.JPG
    DSCN6536.JPG
    DSCN6535.JPG

8:26 PM – May 21#12

The height of the toe space is 4.25″

6:05 AM – May 22#13

Thanks Chip! So, 18.25″ minus the 5″ toe kick means the base at the floor is 13″?  Is there room to spare with the slides closed?  Also, do you think I could extend it towards the bedroom steps without hitting the fridge while the slides are closed? We are planning on putting a small bar sink in that end.

12:08 PM – May 22#14

The base is actually 12 5/8″, the 18 1/4″ O.A. included the 3/4″ thickness for the cabinet doors mounted on the front. The corian top hangs over 1 1/2″ on 3 sides and the side by the dinette curves out from 1 1/2″ to 3″. I cant answer your question about it hitting the fridge if you make it longer but you would never be able to open the fridge doors with the slide closed.
    DSCN6541.JPG
    DSCN6540.JPG
    Gold Level Member

1:04 PM – May 22#15

Thank you! Do you happen to recall how much space you have between counter tops (stove side to island) when the slides are closed? What is that dimension when the slides are open as in the picture? Could we make it a couple inches wider without interfering with the slides closing? Sorry for all the questions, I just don’t want to have it made then not be able to close the slides. We could still get into the refrigerator side while slides are closed but we would be shut out of the freezer side.

3:51 PM – May 22#16

Slide open: 28 1/2″ slide closed, and I’m guessing here based on how far the slide comes in and not actually closing my slide: 9″
    Keep in mind that the stove handle, drawer handles and door handles stick out further than the counter top. I measured counter top to counter top. I think you will be ok with 2 or 3 inches wider but not much more than that.
    Chip

3:54 PM – May 22#17

With the slide closed I can stand on my tip toes and barely fit in between the two counter tops and I’m not a big guy.

6:22 PM – May 22#18

Chip, thank you so much for the information.  The only thing I need to confirm is if I can extend it toward the steps.  The closer I get it to the steps, the easier it will be to hook up the drain.  I’ll try to post some pictures when it is completed. Thanks Again!

11:24 PM – May 23#19

I’d suggest a test build from cardboard or doorskin to start. Both go together quickly with a hot glue gun.

5:17 AM – May 24#20

That’s a great idea! It may give us a better picture of what it would be like to have an island. We put tape on the floor and have been trying to stay out of that area but we find ourselves walking through it all the time. Thank you, I’ll try to do that this weekend.

Carriage-Lifestyle Owners Club & Forum
    Founder/Owner/Admin

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.